OK, I know I didn't invent roasted yams/sweet potatoes. But this is one of my son's favorite foods — and it's a side dish that he regularly helps with. So, I put this here.
What Kiddos Can Do: Place the potatoes in the bowl, pour on the olive oil, add the spices, place the potatoes on a baking sheet.
- One or more red yams or sweet potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
What to do
- Peel and slice the potatoes. The thinner you slice them, the more likely that you'll get a crunchy texture when you bake. I strive for about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Place them in a bowl.
- Coat them with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir.
- Lay them on a baking sheet (covered with foil is my preference) in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake at 350-375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.